The everyday extraordinary

To boldly put my thoughts where they've never been before...on a website for the whole world to see.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I am a speech therapist and I work for a lovely private practice in Columbus. I have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for!

Monday, July 24, 2006

Deep thoughts

1. On Saturday I watched Natalie, she's 11 and she is awesome. She is quite possibly the most sophisticated 11 year old that I know. She is a big fan of the Disney channel and so after dinner we watched the latest Disney channel movie. The story had two main plots. The first being that this girl who is a virtual nobody in school accidentally has her personal journal published. It becomes a best selling book and she now is faced with a new life of popularity and ends up pushing her true and nerdy friends away in the process. The second main plot line is that she has a huge crush on the most dreamy and popular boy in school. Her best friend (who is also a guy) really likes her, but she doesn't see it because she's too busy drooling over Mr. Popular. Like all Disney movies it has a predictable ending... The girl ends up apologizing to her friends for being a jerk, they in turn forgive her and they all have a group hug. She also realizes that while the cute, popular boy may be cute and popular, he has the personality of a sponge and ends up realizing that her best guy-friend is actually the guy for her! So, after the movie, I turned to Natalie and said (kind of joking), "what did we learn from this movie?" Natalie looked at me and smiled and said, "don't let your personal journal get published." While not the life lesson I was looking for, she does have a point. She asked me what I would do if my journal was ever published. I said I didn't think anyone would publish it, my life is not all that exciting. She then said the other lesson was that "cute boys are shallow." Again, not quite the lesson I was going for, but this one I could work with. I explained that message was not to judge a book by the cover, just because someone is attractive, doesn't mean they're a quality person... they can be, but there is not a 100% correlation between the two. She told me that a lot of the kids in her grade started "dating" this past year. I asked her what she thought about that. She said, "I think it's stupid". "Why do you say that?" I ask. "Because they're 11, where are they going to go on a date...it's just dumb." I was impressed by her logic in the situation, what a smart cookie!!


2.Yesterday afternoon, Liz and I hung out at panera for a few hours. She got lunch, but I had already eaten, so I didn't get anything. The following conversation happened after she finished her lunch. Liz: "If I get a brownie will you help me eat it?" Kate: "I'll have a few bites, but I have tennis in an hour and I don't want to throw up during tennis." Liz goes up to get a brownie and comes back with a brownie and a cookie. Kate(looking at the two baked good on the tray): "What happened here?" Liz (in reference to the cookie): "It just looked so lonely up there...with it's six friends." As any good friend would do, I helped her eat the baked goods. After desert was gone we both attempted to do something productive with our time. We were both working on stuff and Liz looks up at me and says, "do you ever look at bread and just think you could eat pounds of it?" She then referenced a stack of fococcia bread and said, "if you had that at home, you could always eat it and always be full." Wow... profound, I know! I just wanted to pass along these deep thoughts so that you can take some time in your day to reflect on the profound nature of baked goods and focaccia bread.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad I've reached a place in my life where the comments of an 11 year old are way deeper than mine. Takes so much pressure off. Here's to bread!

5:20 PM  
Blogger The everyday extraordinary said...

Dude... bread is soooo deep!

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home