The everyday extraordinary

To boldly put my thoughts where they've never been before...on a website for the whole world to see.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I am a speech therapist and I work for a lovely private practice in Columbus. I have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for!

Thursday, July 13, 2006

An all American love story: boy meets girls from Germany on internet and goes to Germany with his mom to meet her

I have a acquired a new group adolescents from one of our therapists who is moving. I meet with them every other Wednesday evening. Last night was our first group, so we spent most of the hour doing ice-breakers and getting to know each other. I had the kids in the group write down two questions that they would want to know about someone in order to get to know them better. We then took turns choosing a question at random. On of the young gentlemen received the question, "have you ever been to a foreign country" He replied by saying he was pretty close to the boarder of Canada once, but that's it. He continued though, and said that if he went to a foreign country he would want to go to Germany. "Oh, why Germany?" I asked. "Because my brother is there and he really likes it" replied my student. I, of course, inquired as to the reason why his brother was in Germany...thinking perhaps he was in the military or something. My student said, "Well he is visiting his girlfriend." "Oh, where did they meet?" I ask innocently. "They met online." He continued to tell me how his brother and his mom were in Germany for a week so that his brother can meet this girl he met online. Our office administrator asked me today if my parents would have let a young, teenage, Kate go to Germany to visit her new online boyfriend. I can safely say the answer to that question would have been NO! Really, I appreciate that I have a lot of options in my life in terms of where I live, what I do, the kind of activities I can be involved in...how to meet people, but I can't help but feel it's all gotten a little complicated. It kind of makes my head spin to think that I could meet some nice young man from, I dunno, let's say the UK, online and end up on a 12 hour plane ride to go meet them! Maybe I'll just let my parents pick someone out for me... or maybe not...yeah, 'not' is definitely the answer to that question.

3 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Uh, wow. Bizarrely enough, Daniel and I have talked a lot about our rules for computer usage for an potential offspring we might be having. I assure you, dating someone online while being a teenager will most certainly be against the rules. As a matter of fact, starting relationships of any sort with people met online will most likely be against the rules.

I think it's funny, because Daniel and I have discussed the fact that we want to be more strict than our parents were about computer usage and we would both highly discourage people from dating online. I suppose we both realize the potential perils of meeting someone online and while it worked out for us, there seems to be a much greater risk for things to not go so well.

3:32 PM  
Blogger The everyday extraordinary said...

It's such a tricky balance! I mean, if you had been dead set against meeting someone online (like some people are) you would not have gotten to know Daniel... on the other hand, there are the obvious safety issues. Crazy! Oh...speaking of offspring, Abby is pregnant! Crazy!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

One of our friends out here just had a baby last night! What's with all this getting pregnant and baby-having? I'm not following that trend anytime soon!

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home