The everyday extraordinary

To boldly put my thoughts where they've never been before...on a website for the whole world to see.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I am a speech therapist and I work for a lovely private practice in Columbus. I have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for!

Thursday, April 13, 2006

"go in peace and be free from your suffering"

Yet another new Lost last night! I think that this makes 4 weeks in a row! Some things that happened in last night's episode were unexpected while others were totally predictable! Unexpected: A back story of characters that would not be considered "main characters", Rose was/is sick, Locke is starting to "loose faith" in the island. Predictable: Jack would ask Kate to go with him on his adventure, they would end up trapped in a net precariously close to one another, you could cut the sexual tension with a machete. What really stuck with me from last night's episode was that Rose had/has cancer and that she feels the island has "healed" her. She and Locke seem to have quite a bit in common, and it seemed like they knew each others stories. I think the notion of the island being a place of healing is interesting to me. Both Locke and Rose feel like the island has special healing powers and neither is keen of leaving the island. The fear is that back in the "real world" Locke would again be paralyzed and Rose's cancer would return. Even in season one, Locke struggled with "obeying" the island because he feared that the island would take away his gift of walking. So, here's my deep thought about all of this. Do you think that the healing power of the island is a gift to it's inhabitants or a means of manipulation? If I had a life altering condition and I found a place where it was taken away, I would have a hard time leaving... even if it wasn't a place that was ultimately beneficial to me. Have Rose and Locke been deceived? Is this a way of manipulating people to want to stay and give to the island, if this a way to keep people on the island? I would like to think that if I were in Locke or Rose's position, if I discovered that island would ultimately be bad for me in the end that I would be strong enough to leave... but I don't know.

2 Comments:

Blogger A. C. Mattern said...

Hmmm... the Island giveth, the Island taketh away... blessed be the name of the... ah... nevermind.

Hard to say about the healing properties of the island. I supposed we won't know for awhile, possibly if we keep an eye out for other illnesses we'll catch a theory. It would seem like the island likes to exploit these weaknesses in order to further "it's own agenda." Like you said, it forced Locke to go to the drug plane and send Boone up to it.

And what about Hurley? Did the island force Hurley's mental illness to return in order to manipulate him? Maybe the island is sick of Sawyer's crap. Might the island be manipulating Charlie's past heroin addiction?

For awhile I was thinking that this last episode had "reset" the majority of the characters. Locke seems to have his faith restored, Kate and Jack are back together again, Sawyer has some leverage and isn't well liked now... But there's definately some differences. Sun and Jinn seem healthier now, as does Charley. Not sure about Ecko, he's had a rough time of it. Sayid is in a dark place.

And I think Rose is worst off now on the island. In her flashback she seemed to have come to peace with her impending death, but now she seems to want to cling to life and not leave the island. Maybe it is just because of her desire to remain with Bernard.

In any case, I think it will be awhile before we get a new episode.

10:46 AM  
Blogger ashley kurz said...

i thought it was something about the magnetic force on the island that was working to heal them. but the idea of manipulation is really interesting. it seems that everyone has something vested in staying on the island. kate cant be arrested, rose and locke wont be sick/paralyzed, charlie is removed from the drug-laden world of rock (although he does have a stash, no?) and claire doesnt have to give up her baby to the family in california (if there ever really was one). interesting. i love this show. but if i hvae to wait three weeks for a new epi, im going to be BUMMED.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home