The everyday extraordinary

To boldly put my thoughts where they've never been before...on a website for the whole world to see.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I am a speech therapist and I work for a lovely private practice in Columbus. I have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for!

Friday, July 21, 2006

just another day at the office

Our office administrator is out today because she had some surgery on her arm, so today and I am Kate: speech therapist and office administrator. One of the advantages of sitting at the front desk instead of in my office is that I can hear what's going on in the other therapy sessions. Every other Friday my boss has 2 boys, well call them "Bill" and "Ted". They are both about 19-20 years old and they are both have significant cognitive delays. In order for you to appreciate any of this, I have to describe Bill and Ted to you. Bill is about 6 foot 4 and at least 250-300lbs. He is HUGE. You have to remind him that he needs to shake your hand because he likes to give hugs... and if he hugs you it will knock the wind out of you. So, I am at the front desk trying to schedule evaluations and I hear, from my bosses office, Bill singing "We are the champions" at the top of his lungs. So, of course, Ted has to join in. Ted is also a pretty big kid (not nearly as big as Bill), and he is much more delayed than Bill...he has much lower language skills. Bill has a very low voice, but Ted's voice is probably higher than mine. so, now, I am trying to talk to people on the phone and tune out the sound of two, 19 year old, guys singing Queen at the top of their lungs. It's never a dull moment!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home