The everyday extraordinary

To boldly put my thoughts where they've never been before...on a website for the whole world to see.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I am a speech therapist and I work for a lovely private practice in Columbus. I have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for!

Saturday, April 22, 2006

On a clear, sunny day

Ahhh... I write to you from the sunny patio of the Cup O' Joe in the Short North. It is a BEAUTIFUL day outside! This is why I love the spring. Jessi and I have spent the day here, mostly being productive, which is pretty good for us! Generally when we try to go somewhere and be productive we end up talking... a lot. However, this afternoon, I have written thank you notes, read the first chapter in Blue Like Jazz (book my Bible study group is reading), and worked on some stuff for work... all while enjoying the beautiful weather and working on my tan (I use this word lightly because I'm pasty and don't really tan). I am enjoying the music of my newly made mix CDs. I have named them "songs of summer 1" and "songs of summer 2". The summer music anthology will be complete when I make "songs of summer nights". I carefully selected all the songs and they are all attached to summer memories. For example, the song "got you where I want you" by The Flys reminds me of driving around in my friend Becky's car when we were in high school and my friend Kyle trying to drive it while sticking his head out of the sunroof. Ah, the silly things we did in high school. Another thing I love about the spring is that everyone is out and about. Jessi and I stopped at the North Market to grab lunch before we settled at Cup O Joe and it was packed. It's so nice to feel like part of civilization. And everyone is so much friendlier in the spring. In the winter everyone walks with their head down and very quickly. This is mostly because if you look up, the bone chilling wind will surely freeze your eyeballs and they will fall out of their sockets. But, in the spring, everyone walks slowly and with their head up, and so people smile. People don't smile in Columbus in the winter. Another great part of nice weather is people watching... I am a chronic people watcher. Sometimes in the winter, when we all hibernate in our homes, I kind of forget that people exist. I particularly love watching groups of people. It makes me happy to see people enjoying each other and caring about each other. I also like watching couples. It's fun because you can tell which couples are new, which ones are established... the best though are people on first dates. There is a lovely awkwardness shared between people on a first date. Well, I will stop rambling now and continue to enjoy the sunshine!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post, kate! it was sweet hanging out with you last weekend. (time flies ... the progressive dinner feels like ages ago.) two things:

1. please let me know what you think about "blue like jazz". people i have talked to are on polar opposites of the spectrum -- either they loved it or hated it. i may pick that one up this summer to see what all the fuss is about.

2. i LOVE "got you where i want you" ... when it comes on, i just get in this funk -- songs that have a similar effect on me are a perfect circle's "blue", radiohead's "talk show host" ... britney's "toxic". haha. just kidding. but not about the first two. music is amazo.

ashley and i talked last night about the plus and minus of the written word versus a musical. (i.e. "les mis", "the phantom of the opera" ... "Jesus Christ superstar". haha. just kidding again. but not about the first two.)

back to your post -- as one gay journalist wrote several weeks ago regarding the abercrombie&fitch summer line photo shoot ... spring has sprung!

1:45 PM  
Blogger The everyday extraordinary said...

1. I have only read the first two chapters, but so far I am enjoying it. It's a naritive and so far it's his thoughts about God and when he came to certain realizations about God as he grew up.

2. I could seriously make mix cd's all day long, it is so much fun and I just love music that much! I know what you mean about songs that just kind put into a different headspace and I would agree that "talk show host" and "blue" do that for me also... I am feeling like the Songs of Summer anthology may need to be 4 discs instead of three!!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home