The everyday extraordinary

To boldly put my thoughts where they've never been before...on a website for the whole world to see.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I am a speech therapist and I work for a lovely private practice in Columbus. I have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

To boldly go where no man has gone before...

So, if you are really my friend, you know that I have a deep love for Star Trek...and if you are REALLY my friend, you know this and still love me anyways. As a young child who was raised on Star Trek, much of my free time was spent contemplating the break in the space time continuum and the notion of being "beamed" somewhere. I always hoped that by the time I was a "grown-up" star trek would be real... that we would fly around the universe in nifty space crafts and meet alien beings. Alas, I am nearly a grown-up and the chances of me traipsing through space with Jean-Luke Picard are rather slim. This morning, I was reading the news clips on my homepage and there was a link to an article about how some famous people are reserving spots on a 2008 flight to space. The actual time in space is a mere 15 minutes (which includes 5 minutes of weightlessness). The cost for 15 minutes in space? $200,000. If we start now, we would only need to save roughly $400.00 per day for the next year and a half and we too can have our 15 minutes in space. If anyone out there is thinking, "hmmm... what should I get Kate for Christmas?" You can rest your weary mind...a ticket to space will do just fine!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060717/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_transport_virgingatlantic

2 Comments:

Blogger A. C. Mattern said...

I think I've got a soft spot for all things Sci-Fi, but I always preferred the Star Wars universe to the Trek universe. Just a preference, not a value judgement.

Ah, Star Trek... Growing up I was into The Next Generation until Gene Rodenberry died... then it got kind of kooky.

I really do enjoy the original series though, there was a lot more going on then I realized. I always liked Spock, but now I'm wishing I paid more attention to Kirk.

Anyway... Kate, there will be a half-solution your problem: Star Trek Online.

10:55 AM  
Blogger The everyday extraordinary said...

I totaly respect your preference for Star Wars! You're right about the series getting kinda wierd after Gene died. I remember trying to watch Deep space nine and Voyager...but I just missed my Jean Luke too much! thanks for the website, it looks delightfully nerdy!

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home