The everyday extraordinary

To boldly put my thoughts where they've never been before...on a website for the whole world to see.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I am a speech therapist and I work for a lovely private practice in Columbus. I have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for!

Monday, March 20, 2006

growing pains

Sundays are so bitter-sweet. On one hand they are relaxing and a lot of fun, but on the other there is the impending doom of Monday that hangs over the whole day. This Sunday was particularly delightful…church in the morning, lunch with friends, shopping with friends, quality roommate time, and more hanging out with friends. A group of my friends has had the tradition of going to Applebee’s on Sunday nights for the last 4 years or so. Last night we had an interesting discussion on growing up and our taste in music and movies changing and stuff like that. I have often wondered, at what point did my parents stop liking new stuff. When they stop listening to new bands or keeping up with current culture. I remember being in college and thinking, I can’t imagine not keeping up with the culture or liking new music. My friends and I had a discussion about this very topic last night. We all admitted to each other that we are starting reach the point in our lives where we don’t like new stuff. My roommate confessed that she had downloaded a bunch of old Brian Adams, I have been listening to a lot of Oasis and Better than Ezra, my friend Ben had similar confessions about the music he’s been listening to. Why is this happening?? It was interesting, when we each talked about why we were listening to “older” music, everyone made some comment about having fond memories of high school or college attached them. My friend Joanna commented that perhaps we like to remember a “simpler” time in our lives. Could this phenomenon of arrested cultural development really just be a symptom of growing pain?? I believe it! When I listen to the song “wonderwall” by Oasis, I transported back to the parties we had in high school marching band after a game. I have such fond memories of that time. I have been feeling lately like growing up is overrated. Being an “adult”: overrated. Having responsibilities: overrated. Paying bills: overrated. Really, I do like my life. I have wonderful friends and family, a good job, a roof over my head, all that stuff. But there is a part of me that longs for the time when my biggest worry was who I was going to take to homecoming!!

3 Comments:

Blogger ashley kurz said...

the title of this post made me wonder, what are actual growing pains in the first place? according to wikipedia:

Growing pains are certain physiological symptoms common in children.

Growing pains typically occur in two periods during a child's life, firstly, between about 3 and 5 years old, then later in 8 to 12 year olds. The symptoms are of general aches and pains, usually in the limbs (mostly the legs). Generally, they are diagnosed only by excluding any other more serious causes.

Though the pain is often clear, there is very little actual evidence that the rapid growth of bones should cause pain. It is likely, therefore, that the pain arises from the general activities of the child at these ages, that is, running, jumping and falling over. Growing pains tend to strike at night time, adding further weight to this hypothesis. Also, children complaining of growing pains often respond well to cuddling and affection, which contrasts with the reaction of children with more serious illnesses who tend to shun contact since handling often increases the pain.

i suggest, kate, that you add to this content with your theory. we regress through music. i love it. and totally agree. i can tell you where i was when i first fell in love with the song "you oughta know" and "not the doctor". and what the air smelled like. and i relive that with every listen. today i was feeling rather nostalgic and listened to some old blues tunes (wise child)that reminded me of my freshman year at college. sigh.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, try dealing with my never-ending michael bolton stage. i mean, seriously ... how AM i supposed to live without michael?! after loving him for so long? how am i supposed to carry on, now that all i have been living for is gone?

10:35 PM  
Blogger A. C. Mattern said...

Hmmm... interesting. I've almost always been behind the curve when it comes pop culture and am only now getting caught up to it.

When it comes to music, it means different things to people. For those who turn to it for a connection it makes sense that they would be interested in older music. Also we have a huge back history of music that overshadows any sort of "contemporary" music by its sheer volume.

It's funny how people in our station begin to see the further developement of our tastes as a "bad thing" but it makes sense. We do seem to limit ourselves at times, but we all have limited resources so we choose what to prioritize. As long as we are open to new experiences from time to time it may not be a bad thing.

How is bill paying over-rated? Did I miss when it was the in thing to do? ;-)

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home