The everyday extraordinary

To boldly put my thoughts where they've never been before...on a website for the whole world to see.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I am a speech therapist and I work for a lovely private practice in Columbus. I have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for!

Thursday, February 23, 2006

everything I know, I learned from kindergarteners

I would have to say that my favorite ages are 4-7. At these ages, kids are old enough to do most things independently and you don't have to watch them every second and you can talk with them about things, but they are not yet old enough to figure out that you are old, out of touch, and not cool (this happens around the 4th or 5th grade). Another advantage of this age group is that they are not under the influence of dangerous, mind altering hormones!! 4-7 year olds have not yet learned about the concept of the "inner monologue". Therefore, anything that pops into their young brains will ultimately come out. At this time I would like to present a few scenarios of experiences I have had with my students. For privacy reasons (and so I don't lose my job)the names of my kids have been changed.

1. Scene: walking with "bob" through the library at school to get the other little boy in his speech group. It is book sale day and so there are a lot of books that wouldn't normaly be in an elementary school. We pass a stack of Dr. Phil marriage counseling books. Oh, I should mention that "bob" is in speech therapy because he says 't' for 'k' and 'd' for 'g'... so that would mean the word "cany" would sound like "tandy". To get the full effect of why this is a problem that needs to be addressed I want you say "kitty cat", but substitute any 'k' sounds for 't' sounds. So, as we pass these books, "bob" says, "Miss Bater (remember, 't' for 'k'), it's Dr. Phil...my mommy and daddy have that book!" Wow, this is information that I didn't need to know about his parents!

2. I am playing a game with some 2nd graders where you land on a category and you have to name an item in the category. "steve" land on the category body parts.
Miss Baker: Ok Steve, name a body part.
Steve: My uterus!
Miss Baker: says nothing, but looks like a dear in the headlights
Steve: What is a uterus anyways??
Miss Baker: that's a good question for your mom!

3. Scene: playing UNO with a client, he is 4 years old. My cell phone rings, so I pull it out of my purse to turn it off.
"Bill": Who was that?
Miss Baker: My friend.
"Bill": What is their name?
Miss Baker: my friend John.
"Bill": My dad is called John!
Miss Baker: That's great Bill? What is your mom's name?
Bill: Umm...my mom is called...Honey, that's right! My mom's name is Honey!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate,
I just caught a moment to check out your blog and wow. Disregard whatever I blindly suggested over the weekend, your work provides quite a unique set of material. Kids are outrageous.
~Pete

12:17 PM  
Blogger A. C. Mattern said...

There was usually down time between the end of Sunday School and the beginning of the worship service in the church that I grew up in. On one of these occasions one of the younger boys of the class drew a picture of a rather muscular girl up on the chalk board.

My mom was the Sunday School teacher and she asked "Who is that you're drawing Johnny?"

He responded "It's Cindy Crawford."

I asked "Why is she so muscular?"

He thought for a moment and responded: "She's taking hemroids."

I had to bite my lip I was laughing so hard.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home