The everyday extraordinary

To boldly put my thoughts where they've never been before...on a website for the whole world to see.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I am a speech therapist and I work for a lovely private practice in Columbus. I have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Starbucks...Cheaper then therapy

I love Tuesdays… well every other Tuesday, because I get to go home at 4:30!! Most days I don’t leave work until 6:00 or 6:30 and it’s so delightful to leave work when it’s light outside! On my home, every other Tuesday, I stop at Starbucks… by far the most delightful experience of my day. By the end of my day, I have seen 22 kids and I am exhausted! I drag myself from my car, across the parking lot, into Starbuck’s… tired and defeated from a hard day’s work. But, something magical happens when I leave. I now have the power of a grande caramel apple cider and suddenly I’m not tired anymore and I’m smiling and singing along to the radio and just generally happy. The more I think about it, I don’t think Starbucks is thriving because their coffee and other assorted beverages are so spectacular, but because there’s something about having a custom made, warm, beverage that restores energy and happiness to one’s life! My roommate Jessi and I have this reoccurring thought every time we go to Starbucks, that perhaps we should make a career change. I can picture it now… I would get wear a cute green apron, I wouldn’t have to bring my work home, and I would be the best part of my customers’ day! I spend a significant amount of my week with adolescents and I can guarantee you that I am NOT the best part of their day. I should note now, that this entry was interrupted because I had to have a phone conference with one of my adolescent client’s parents… seriously, Starbucks is looking really good right now!

5 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

I just thought I'd point out that between teaching and being a barrista, teaching was by far the better job. As a barrista the pace is really fast or there's absolutely nothing to do. You have to clean food spills and bathrooms. People get really cranky if their coffee isn't made to their specific taste and have no problem holding up a line of 6+ people. So, while it may seem better, I assure you, it isn't. If you'd like I'll make you a green apron so you can pretend at home. :)

2:02 PM  
Blogger The everyday extraordinary said...

Words of wisdon Megan! I will pass them on to my friends who also toy with the idea of making a "career" change. My mom also assures me that I would miss my pay-check and having a roof over my head and other crazy things like that!

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh megan, you can make aprons? i'm impressed. kate, you're too good at what you do to go into the coffee-serving job, despite the appeal of starbucks. what was that one tea drink i had when i came to visit you? that was AMAZING.

12:15 AM  
Blogger The everyday extraordinary said...

I think you had a passion fruit tea sweetened with leamonade... so yummy!!

4:51 PM  
Blogger ashley kurz said...

as much as i hate starbucks personally, im glad that it gives you that needed boost. they do have a fair trade coffee line, so i should probably get over it...

i do find something extremely refreshing about a nice drink after a hard day of work. alhtough we know i drink only iced drinks, as my natural internal temperature is obviously too high already...

I MISS YOU

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home