The everyday extraordinary

To boldly put my thoughts where they've never been before...on a website for the whole world to see.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I am a speech therapist and I work for a lovely private practice in Columbus. I have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for!

Monday, February 27, 2006

The power of advertising

I had my favorite kind of Friday… good friends, good beer, and good conversation. One of my friends was talking about these new belt buckles that have scrolling screens on them. I have to be honest, I have never heard of these belts and quite frankly, I think it sounds kind of silly! What could you possibly need a scrolling screen on you pants for?! During our conversation of this new fad, we somehow came around to the idea that this would be the new frontier for the personal add. Think about it! What better way to promote yourself and to tell the world what you are looking for in a significant other then to let it scroll across your belt buckle. On Monday afternoons I have 4 high school boys in a social group, and for the adolescent male there is no more important of a venue for communication then with girls. One of my students talked about how he meets girls on my space, another told us that he doesn’t even have to talk to a girl, they just walk up to him and give them their numbers. The story that topped it all though, was my student who got a number from a girl and when he called her, he got some kind of rejection hotline…ouch!!! This all spawned a very interesting discussion about how meeting people online is tricky because a person can…umm… “embellish” the truth! One of the other teachers, who overheard our conversation, illuded to an incident when he thought he met a woman online…however, she turned out to be a he. Seriously, this is a scary proposition… I mean it’s one thing to round your weight down about 10 lbs or paste a picture of your face on a super model’s body, but to lie about your gender!! That is truly a mystery. I have to say this about my job… it’s never a dull moment!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

I think you can learn much of what you need to know about a person by the kind of beer they define as good.

So...?

4:00 PM  
Blogger The everyday extraordinary said...

well....
My favorite is Strongbow, which is hard cider. Generally speaking, I like wheat beers and Ales. Just before christmas I had a delightful strawberry beer (wheat beer), it was quite delicious! I don't prefer really dark beers or guiness! What about you?

12:24 AM  
Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

Sounds to me like I prefer the stuff you don't like. Guiness: rocks. Porters: rock. Anything that's dark enough so that you can't see through it should rock pretty hard. Though it depends on the brewery, you know.

However, I also like some India Pale Ales and ESB's (extra special bitters).

The other day my wife and I went out for dinner and they had an incredible brew list. I had, for only the second time in my life, a Celebrator Dopplebock by Ayinger. It was extraordinary.

Chatting about beer with Kate. There's something I never would have thought I'd be doing.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup...seen the buckles. They have become quite the favorite with some of my high-schoolers. What are they advertising? Usuallly their name and phone number. That's right...who needs to wait to be asked? Just display it for everyone to see... and if he's not quick enough to catch the digits as they scroll by, maybe you can stop and let him study your crotch for a few minutes just to make sure he has it right.

Definetly not my favorite fashion accessory. However, I do prefer it to the dog collars!!

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home