The everyday extraordinary

To boldly put my thoughts where they've never been before...on a website for the whole world to see.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio

I am a speech therapist and I work for a lovely private practice in Columbus. I have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Who will save your soul?

This story comes from one of my schools. First I must set the stage. This particular class has 4 kids. 3 are about 17 or 18 years old, one is 14 years old. The three older kids are pretty typical. Unless you worked with them closely, it wouldn't be apparent that they have any special needs. The third boy, however, it much more apparently impaired. He has aspergers and has some cognitive issues. In addition to that, the other boys all have similar interest, sports, music, girls. The third boy (we'll call him "Bob") is from a more rural part of Columbus and enjoys fishing and catching insects. He also has some hygiene issues which is unfortunate for a 14 year old. So, last week I go into their classroom and there is some commotion. One of the kids tells me, "Bob sold his soul 'Joe' (his classmate) for two rubber bands." "What?" I ask. Their teacher proceeds to tell me that "Joe" had some rubber bands and "Bob" wanted them, so the kids drew up a contract which was signed and everything that stated that "Bob" would sell his soul to "Joe" for 2 rubber bands. The teacher of course took the contract and told the kids that they were not allowed to barter souls. The moral of the story is: your soul is worth more than 2 rubber bands.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jim Jannotti said...

your soul is worth more than 2 rubber bands.

Whew. I feel much better now about the entire bag of rubber bands I got in exchange for mine.

2:50 PM  
Blogger ashley kurz said...

ahahaha. jim, you're funny.

2:06 PM  
Blogger ashley kurz said...

kate, LOST in two days!!

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my. that's pretty amazing. tonight, when one of the nursing assistants asked my patient if he wanted to get back in bed after sitting in the wheelchair for a while, he said, "i only get in bed with women". the nursing assistant, a female i might add, almost slapped him across the face. I had to remind her that was MRDD and had mild autism. yikes.

11:57 PM  
Blogger The everyday extraordinary said...

Yay Lost!! Care, that is an amazing story. I think I would have had a hard time not laughing.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home